Sunday, January 10, 2016

Pressure cooked ribs

Found these frozen ribs in, well,.. obviously, the freezer. They were honestly badly frost bitten and I have NO clue how long they have been in there. But, they just are too big and, well,  they are ribs, so I can't waste them. Thinking the pressure cooker can make anything good right?


Defrosted ribs

So I defrosted them on a big plate, thinking what to do with them during the day.
Here's what I came up with outa my head....

decided on a kinda sweet BBQ sauce type flavor. Took approximately these ingredients...
Making a thin sauce to use in the pressure cooker. 
1 cup Ketchup
1 cup Apple Cider
2-3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1/2 tablespoon worchester sauce
1/2 to maybe 3/4 cup vegetable broth
1/2 cup lightly packed brown sugar
Mix together and bring to a quick boil while stirring.. once boiled remove from heat and let sit.

Now I chopped up 
1 medium onion 
1 stick of celery

added 2-3 tablespoon of oil to the pressure cooker and started up to get hot.(I'm using a electric pressure cooker, not a stove top unit) Sprinkle salt and pepper on ribs and throwing 2 at a time into the pot I quick browned all edges.
Removing ribs I threw in a table spoon or so more oil and toss in the veggies. Stirring with a wooden spoon and knocking up any meaty bits off the bottom. cooked veggies till onions started to get translucent.
Now I stacked up the meat in layers, dribbling a bit of the BBQ style sauce on faces between as I went. Set pressure cooker for 40 minute (which may actually be too long..? ) and throwing the rest of the sauce in sealed her up...

After throwing it all together, I peeled and chopped some potatoes for some mashed taters and waiting for the meat to cook...

Tick, tock...

Oh MY GOD.. 10 minutes left and it just smells awesome!!
More tick, tock....

OK, done... what it looks like in the cooker...


And on the plate, with some mashed taters, green beans and some chedder cheese broiled toast.. totally yum.  Ribs were wicked tender, and very flavorful. Really surprised how good they taste!



I will say they were a slight bit dry, and honestly, that's not even the right word as they were freaking awesome, but maybe a bit over cooked. I think 20-30 minutes might have been better. May just be that they were old and frozen for ever  ;) 

Think I'm going for 2nds!!  they are that good!!


No comments:

Post a Comment